Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reflections

It seams like there have been so many anniversaries of sort the last couple of weeks. We had Christmas, our wedding anniversary the 27th, when Bret was hired and I quit my joy on the 28th, New Years, and today it the one year anniversary of moving up here. So I have had many opportunities to reflect on my life and the year.

I am so happy that Bret got a job up here. This is such a wonderful place to live (I can't believe I am saying this in January). I love my neighborhood and ward. I love the farms and the all around good feeling up here.

And of course, I am so happy to be able to be a stay at home mom. It is such a blessing. I love being around my child all the time and seeing the little and big changes every day brings.

I am also glad to no longer be working as a social service worker. I am glad to no longer be dealing with child abuse and neglect. When I watch the news I don't have to worry about seeing my current or potential clients. I don't have to worry about removals, graphic details of child sexual abuse, or any of the many secondary trauma inducing things I spent 3 years doing. I am grateful for the experience, the amazing people I met, the resilient children I watched overcome the greatest of trials, and the opportunities I had. But I am so grateful that chapter of my life has closed. I respect the people make a careers out of a high stress job where the pay makes teachers look rich. I was growing so bitter and worn out by the end, and I am so happy to be free.

I am so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. No matter what changes or challenges occur, and I know that Christ lives. I know that he will provide help, comfort, and guidance. I am so much happier when I am following him and doing the things that keep me close to the Spirit. I am grateful for my calling as a Sunday School teach of 12-13 yr olds. What a wonderful age where they are really starting to have a better understanding, and where their questions are deeper and more thought filled . I am grateful to be able to go to church every Sunday. One year ago we were taking turns staying home with the baby, but we've been able to go as a family for awhile now. I love being able to take the sacrament every week and be up lifted by the wonderful talks and lessons.

I am so grateful for temple marriage. It is such a joy to know that I will be with my family forever.

I am so happy for my home. I love being able to decorate it. I love working in the yard. I really like that my house is green. I love that it is the perfect place for my family.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for this post Steph. Hopefully I will be saying the same thing this time next year. My little girl is due in 3 weeks.