Saturday, September 14, 2013

Succulent cage

I wanted to have an interesting planter.  I decided on this bird cage.  I put moss around to hold the dirt.  This is where I made my mistake.  I should have put soda cans or a big yogurt container in the middle to keep it from getting to heavy.

I decided to do succulent perennials to hopefully lower the maintenance.
It took a bit of time, but I carefully separated the plants into smaller sections.

Then I carefully put them here and there.  Trying to make it look good.  It took me about 4 hours over two or three days (with kids I rarely get a long stretch of time).
I was so pleased with how it turned out until...

It sand lower then I wanted.

I moved the top pieces out.  Put my hand inside and lifted the edge while adding wood chips and more dirt.  It settled again, but not as low.
I planted it in the fall and left it outside (I thought about bringing it inside, but it had all these weird little bugs in it).  I really hope it makes it through the winter and comes back in the spring.  If not I will try and figure out what went wrong and work from there.

No comments: