Saturday, May 17, 2014

40 mins

One Friday last May I received a call from one of my friends called me to tell me there was a shooter at the hospital Bret works at.  Bret usually doesn't work on Fridays, but that he was there that day.  I hung up and checked the local news channels websites, but I couldn't find any information on it.  I called my friend back who said he husband heard it on a local radio station.  I had to hurry and get Wes ready for preschool and take him and his friend to preschool.  It was about 20 minutes that I didn't know what was going on.
Finally, I heard that it was a gunman demanding drugs.  That was a relief. There is a big difference with someone with a gun demanding something and someone with a gun whose motive is just to hurt people.
I was able to talk to Bret about 20 minutes after that.  He was surprised I had heard about the incident.  He said he was fine.  He was in his office until an officer that was there to guard another patient shot the man.  Then Bret was busy getting meds and helping get the gunman stable.

In hind sight it seems silly how upset I was, but at the time it was terrible.  It is amazing how powerful the comfort of the Holy Ghost is.  During the time that I was terrified I received such comfort.  I am also so grateful that everything turned out okay.

No comments: