Monday, October 28, 2013

Wesley's Halloween costume

Wes wanted to be a "spiderweb with an orange spider on it" for Halloween.  He was inspired by our yard spider last summer.  
This kid is specific.  Did you know they don't make spider costumes?  There aren't many great tutorials out there either.  At first I started by cutting cheesecloth into a spider shape.  It didn't work out.  It was a little to much of such a small body.

I ended up adapting this tutorial from a witch cape to a spider web.  I cut out a rectangle the of white felt.  I picked the size by holding it up to Wes, and then I put a hole in the middle for his head.
Then I tried it on him because to see how I liked it.

I rounded the edges.

The I started on the edge.

Next I made a row of three crescent shaped holes for each indent on the edge adjusting on the corners as needed.  I topped it off with triangles.  I am not an artistic or skilled person and it took me a long time.  The nice thing with spiderwebs is they don't have to be perfect.  In fact it's better if it's not.

I crocheted an orange spider.  I wish I would have used a much thicker wire for the legs.

I put spider rings all over it, but they fell off.  I wish I would have sewed or glued them down because it looked so fun.  Too bad I didn't get any good pictures of it like that.
I love this crazy and creative boy.

No comments: