Monday, October 29, 2012

Mermaid Costume

I had been talking about Halloween costumes for several weeks, and I has some awesome ideas.  But Wes decided that he was going to be a fish.  There was not persuading him otherwise.  So we did the theme around that.  I thought about making Brynn an octopus costume, but I really like the little tutu costumes that are becoming so popular.  How could I resist but to make her a cute mini mermaid?

Etsy had some adorable costumes, but the prices started at $30 for the more simple and went up and up from there.  Plus, I didn't really want her costume to be purple (most were).  So I took the inspiration from Esty.  (I was going to link to the shops, but many of the costumes are no longer available.) 

I checked out a YouTube video on how to make a tutu.  Then I headed to Hobby Lobby where the supplies just happened to by half price.  I did the bottom row light green tulle  the second dark green, but I only go a little of the third row done before I ran out of light green.  The second time I went to Hobby Lobby I accidentally bought a slightly diffident tulle.  Oops.  It worked better with the darker tulle.  So I just undid the bottom row and put the new tulle in.  Man I sure have a way of making projects longer.  But just so you know there are two different types of tulle at Hobby Lobby so be careful.

Love this crazy girl.

I got the tutu done and started on the seashell bra.  I decided on a starfish for embellishment, but wasn't sure how to find a soft child safe starfish.  I ended up deciding to make my own.  I watched this YouTube video and adapted it to make the points longer (that made me feel a little like a superhero).

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do with her headband.  I kept trying elaberate things, but finally decided on this simple design.  I added three little pearls that are hard to see in the picture.  I put a clip on the back so I could change out the headband.  Super glad I did that because I ended up making a pink headband that looked cuter then the green.
I also sewed some felt behind the star on the bra to make it less floppy.
I never got a picture that I felt really captured how cute her costume was in real life.  I should have taken a video.  Still I am pretty happy with how it turned out.  She is such a crazy cute kid.

During the October LDS General Conference (2 hour segments twice a day on the first weekend in October.  Eight hours of listening to prophet of the Lord.  I actually love it a lot).  I like to crotchet during it.  So during the afternoon sessions when the kids were napping I started making this little Octopus to go with her costume.  Another YouTube how-to success.

I really had such a blast making her Halloween costume, but my favorite part was seeing her toting arou

No comments: