Wesley has a Leap Frog movie called Letter Factory. I have heard great things about it from different mothers about how much it has helped their kid learn their letters. I am amazed at what a good movie it is.
I worry about Wes watching too much TV. During my first trimester when I was so sick I could barley get off the couch I watched a lot of TV, but Wes was still little enough at the time that he didn't sit and watch it. Now he will sit and watch it. In fact, he loves watching TV. If I let he would probably spend hours everyday watching it.
I feel guilty about him watching TV at all, but I still feel pretty sick a lot. I have found though that if I let him watch Letter Factory while I take a nap next to him on the couch I feel better. Which in turn makes me a better mom the rest of the day. I still feel guilty about it, but it's nice he is at least watching something educational.
Letter Factory combined with the fact that Wes already loves books and reading has really opened him up to the world of letter. A couple of weeks ago we were driving home, and Wes got so excited and started pointing to all the signs around and said, "B ba." He was so excited to have see them around. (B ba is what he calls letters.)
The other day we were driving home and there was a big bag of Halloween candy in the front seat. Wes kept pointing and crying to the bag. He refused a piece of candy when offered. He just kept pointing and crying for about 10 minutes. Finally he says, "Num Num Ba!" He could see the letters on the bag and wanted me to tell him what they were. We spent the next 15 minutes talking about letter sounds and singing the alphabet song.
His new thing is to say a word with the letter wound repeated at first. He is usually right when he says, "Wa wa wa Wesley." He is still wrong a lot and will say things like, "Ba ba Mommy!" I will correct him and then we will way it together. I wish that I could get a video of his cute exited voice as we play the game.
Wes doesn't know all his letters yet, but I am surprised at how many he does know for how little he is. The thing that makes me happy is that he is showing such a love of learning. It is fun to watch how fast he is growing.
My smart little guy playing in a box. How could I not include a picture of my favorite little boy.








2 comments:
I la-la-love letter factory! Best kid movie ever.
OH yeah, letter factory is FAB!! Both my kids watched it and it really helped them learn letters. Linus has known his letters and sounds for more than a year now, but he still wants to watch it sometimes.
I don't think you should feel guilty about letting your son watching TV (if it's in moderation). I let my kids watch about an hour of TV per day. I don't think that it's too much, but it gives me a break and is fun for them. Plus, they often pick education stuff which is totally cool with me.
I think all moms are afraid that they let their kids watch too much TV, but if you are worried about it, then you probably aren't letting him watch too much. :) There ARE parents out there that let their kids watch for HOURS upon HOURS every day. I doubt you are one of them.
Also - when you are sick, seriously, nothing else works sometimes and you need to give yourself a break if he does watch a little too much for your tastes. It happens to all of us, trust me!
Post a Comment